That Apple is the company most copied by Asian companies is something that by now should not surprise anyone. Every so often, something happens that reminds us that while Apple invests in R&D, others simply shoot the final result. Yesterday was one of those days, because Huami, a subsidiary of Xiaomi, launched its own Apple Watch. Of course, under the name of Amazfit GTS. Welcome to a new episode of a company that copies an Apple product without any blush.
A software copied from Apple Watch
The newly announced Amazfit GTS has a rectangular screen and a rounded edge whose external appearance makes it similar to the Apple Watch. It is not the first of the brand that has it, since the Amazfit Bip of a couple of years ago was also rectangular in shape. The GTS comes with two colors and six interchangeable straps. All this falls within reason, since watches have always had this type of form.
The problem is not in its external appearance, but in its software. The Amazfit GTS copies without repair elements of the Apple Watch Series 4 as distinctive as these:
- Infographic sphere, in which up to eight complications can be placed.
- Modular infographic sphere, which shows several larger complications and with more information.
- Analog activity sphere, focused on daily exercise.
- Complication modification system, rotating from one to another.
The first two spheres came to light last year with the Apple Watch Series 4, while the other points have been on the clock for longer. In the video above and others found on YouTube show that Xiaomi has decided to copy the Apple Watch in the most important: the software. While the exterior appearance of a watch is to some extent inevitable, its software is the most distinctive and important element, as it is what we interact with.
Of course, the GTS shows a quite significant lag when moving between the spheres. Although the processor that moves the device is unknown, it is probably a generic one due to its low price of around 120 euros. Xiaomi sells it as a copy of the Apple Watch for a price three times lower.
Apple is once again the R&D department of the technological world
As we said at the beginning of this article, Apple has become the R&D department of the entire technological world. Their designs are copied to a greater or lesser extent by almost all companies in the sector, sometimes going beyond the products themselves. There are numerous cases of companies that launch products that range from clear inspiration to the most absolute copy:
- The iPhone X was not the first to have a notch, but of course it did kick off for dozens of models to copy its peninsula.
- In early 2019, Samsung launched its own version of the iPad Pro under the name of Galaxy Tab S5e.
- Huawei decided in April 2018 that its wireless headphones “FreeBuds” should copy to the AirPods. Together with dozens of clone copies sold on Amazon, they demonstrated the inevitability of Apple’s design.
- The Animoji launched with the iPhone X have also starred in their own saga of copycats. Both Samsung and Xiaomi again have copied these animated emoji (with greater or lesser fortune).
But without a doubt, Xiaomi takes the trophy to the company that copies the most to Cupertino. It’s photocopying machine is not limited to his products and software, but also to his presentations (his CEO even dressed like Steve Jobs) and even his physical stores (an obvious copy of the apple).
It is curious how all these companies prefer to copy the final result (the product) instead of the path that leads Apple to make them ( the process ). Of course, it is faster, simpler and cheaper to imitate the first than build the second.