A 21-year-old student’s ‘excessive’ energy drink consumption most likely caused his heart to fail, pointed out a case study published in a leading medical journal the BMJ.
A student,21, ended up in ICU after he consumed four 500ml drinks — 640mg of caffeine — per day regularly for two years.
“I suffered from tremors and heart palpitations,” said the patient, “I also suffered from severe migraine headaches.”
- On a British dating game show, man escorted out to “calm down” after getting too “excited” during filming
- Dead bodies of two young girls, 10 and 13, found in South Florida canal
- Missing golden retriever found swimming in Jersey Shore bay after 2 weeks
- Five supplements that can help relieve joint pain and long term conditions
- Invasive Giant Hogweed left two schoolboys blistered and burned
He sought help after his ill health, including shortness of breath and lethargy, brought his university studies to a halt for three months.
Medics found he had heart and kidney failure — the latter linked to a long-standing, previously undiagnosed condition.
The report’s authors, from Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, called the case ‘severe biventricular heart failure potentially related to excessive energy drink consumption.
And doctors treating him said his energy drink habit ‘was felt to be the most likely cause’.
The student was in the hospital for 58 days, including a ‘traumatizing’ ICU stint.
With his heart function now just ‘mildly impaired’ after nine months, he has called for warning signs on the ‘addictive’ beverages.