Health experts in the United States may have solved the puzzle of how four individuals in different states contracted a deadly tropical disease known as Melioidosis despite the fact that none of them had gone abroad.
Health officials in the United States believe they have found the mystery of how four individuals in separate states contracted a deadly tropical disease despite the fact that none of them had travelled internationally: an aromatherapy spray imported from India.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, scientists discovered the same type of bacterium that causes melioidosis in a spray bottle discovered in one of the patients’ homes.
The four individuals came from Georgia, Kansas, Minnesota, and Texas. Two of them died, one of them was a kid from Georgia.
The agency stated that it was conducting tests to ensure that the bacterium in the container was the same strain as that seen in the four people. It was originally said that lab investigations revealed that all four infections were strongly linked.
The spray discovered in the Georgia patient’s home was manufactured in India. According to the agency, the genetic profile of the bacteria in the bottle is identical to that of strains commonly seen in South Asia.
According to the CDC, the contaminated product is called “Better Homes & Gardens Lavender & Chamomile Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones.” It was available for $4 in 55 Walmart stores and on the Walmart website beginning in February and continuing through Thursday.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission and Walmart recalled 3,900 bottles of the spray in six flavors on Friday. Officials are looking into whether other fragrances and brands may be dangerous.
Walmart said in a statement Friday that it took instant action when government agencies informed the store of their findings.
Melioidosis is rare in people, with only approximately 12 cases documented per year. It can be contracted through direct contact with polluted soil and water. According to the CDC, the virus is curable if discovered early and treated correctly.
You were reading: Melioidosis, which has already killed 4 Americans, linked to Aromatherapy spray by CDC