Scientists, listing the health risks from surviving COVID-19, said despite being primarily a respiratory virus, long COVID-19 can strike nearly every organ system in the human body.
To find out the long-term effects of Post COVID-19 or Post-Covid syndrome, the researchers examined the data of 13,654 patients hospitalized with COVID-19 and compared it with 13,997 patients hospitalized with seasonal flu.
The results of the study suggest, originally being a respiratory virus, long COVID-19 can impact nearly every organ system in the body. With the help of this study, they were able to identify newly diagnosed major health problems that remained in COVID-19 patients over at least six months and that affected nearly every organ and regulatory system of the body.
- Doctor reveals three common side effects of covid vaccine affecting women
- Is it dangerous to eat green or sprouted potatoes? – this is what experts say
- CDC: Pfizer Covid vaccine side effect ‘more common’ after second dose
- Experts create new COVID-19 death prediction model – this is how you can calculate your risk
- Can you get COVID-19 from cash?
Here’s the list of all the most common health issues that persisted in COVID-19 patients over six months:
- Respiratory system: persistent cough, shortness of breath and low oxygen levels in the blood.
- Nervous system: stroke, headaches, memory problems and problems with senses of taste and smell.
- Mental health: anxiety, depression, sleep problems and substance abuse.
- Metabolism: new onset of diabetes, obesity and high cholesterol.
- Cardiovascular system: acute coronary disease, heart failure, heart palpitations and irregular heart rhythms.
- Gastrointestinal system: constipation, diarrhea and acid reflux.
- Kidney: acute kidney injury and chronic kidney disease that can, in severe cases, require dialysis.
- Coagulation regulation: blood clots in the legs and lungs.
- Skin: rash and hair loss.
- Musculoskeletal system: joint pain and muscle weakness.
- General health: malaise, fatigue and anemia.