President Joe Biden seemed to have forgotten the name of Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin at a White House rally and called the Pentagon chief “the guy who runs that outfit over there”.
The president was announcing the appointment of two female generals destined to lead the US military when he suddenly lost the thread.
“I want to thank the former general. I keep calling him general, but my… the guy who runs that outfit over there,” Biden said without losing his face, presumably referring to Austin and the Pentagon.
- CDC: More than 35% of people hospitalized with Delta variant are between 18-to-49
- Unvaccinated Tennessee woman dies of COVID-19 after giving birth prematurely
- Prop Gun used by Alec Baldwin in deadly accident ‘had been declared safe to use’
- A herb that may fight asymptomatic and mild COVID symptoms naturally
- This is how Japan’s Mount Aso volcano woke up – Video
“I want to make sure to thank the secretary for all he has done to try to implement what we just talked about into practice. And for recommending these two women for promotion,” he continued.
Earlier in the event, Biden had called the head of the Defense Department by name, “Secretary Austin,” while it appeared he was reading a teleprinter.
After saying these words, Biden left the room somewhat slowly as his vice president, Kamala Harris, walked behind him.
Internet users on social networks questioned the president’s state of health and his ability to perform his duties.
The 78-year-old Biden has already had trouble with the names of his cabinet secretaries. In December, he mispronounced the name of his candidate for the Department of Health and Human Services, Xavier Becerra, and later corrected the error with a different pronunciation.