We are in the middle of the week and Microsoft can not miss the appointment for which it offers new updates with total punctuality. This is Build 18917, an update that the American company has made available to users within the Fast Ring in the Insider Program.
The Build 18917 belongs to the branch 20H1 and is a new way of knowing some of the novelties that will arrive in the next big update of Windows 10, that should arrive at the end of the year.
To announce the launch we have the well-known Dona Sarkar, who has again used her Twitter account to announce the availability of the new Build.
— Dona Sarkar (@donasarkar) June 12, 2019
Microsoft has taken advantage of the feedback from users who do not have access to high speeds on the network. For those who do not have a large bandwidth have added a new option to reduce the bandwidth used with an absolute value.
Those interested can configure this parameter separately for the downloads in the foreground (downloads that starts from the Windows Store, for example) or background downloads. This is an option available in “Configuration> Update and security> Delivery optimization> Advanced options”
They have made improvements to optimize the information offered by the Narrator when navigating through a table through the navigation commands in it. Narrator now reads the header data first, followed by the cell data, followed by the row / column position for that cell. In addition, Narrator only reads headers when headings have changed, so you can concentrate on the contents of the cell.
WSL 2 arrives
WSL 2 is a new version of the architecture that drives Windows Subsystem for Linux to run the ELF64 Linux binaries on Windows. This new architecture changes the way these Linux binaries interact with Windows and the PC hardware offering the same user experience as in WSL 1.
In addition WSL 2 offers much faster file system performance and full compatibility with system calls, allowing you to run more applications such as Docker. More info on WSL 2.
Improvements in Windows Ink Workspace
There are improvements to Windows Ink Workspace so that it now occupies less screen space. At the same time, a link to the Microsoft Whiteboard application is added.
- Fixed a problem that caused some users to experience an error code of 0x8007000E when downloading the compilation due to high RAM consumption.
- Fixed a problem in which users could not use the “add a feature” option of the Desktop’s On-Demand Functions.
- Fixed a bug that made dragging the emoji and dictation panels unexpectedly slow.
- They work on solving a problem that causes the taskbar to be configured to hide automatically, when starting the Start menu, the taskbar would be hidden first before opening the Start menu.
- Fixed a problem that caused the Start menu and the taskbar to be 100% transparent on the secondary monitors or after the projection.
- The new search experience in File Explorer has been updated so that it is now dark when used in dark themes.
- Fixed a problem in which Windows security was blocked if it started from the configuration when using an Arabic display language.
- Fixed an issue where the audio service could hang on the shutdown if the spatial audio was activated.
- This update may fail the first time you try to download by offering the error code 0xc0000409.
- In the case of Home editions, some devices may not see the “update installed” on the update history page.
- Also in Home editions, it is possible that some devices can not see the “percentage of download progress” change in the Windows Update page.
- There are problems with previous versions of anti-cheat software used with games where, after updating to the latest versions of 19H1 Insider Preview, PCs may suffer blockages. They are still working on correcting this bug. While and to minimize the possibility of having this problem, recommend making sure you are running the latest version of the games before trying to update the operating system.
- Some Realtek SD card readers do not work correctly.
- Protection against tampering can be disabled in Windows security after updating to this compilation. You can turn it on again.
- They are aware of a problem with the Bopomofo IME in which the character width is suddenly changed to full Width from the Average Width and is being investigated.
- They are investigating a problem in which some users report that the File Explorer search is being processed in an unexpectedly small area and that when it is clicked it is blocked.
Known problems for developers
- If compilations are installed from the Quick Ring and you switch to the Slow Ring or Release Preview, the optional content, such as enabling developer mode, will fail. The solution is to stay in the Quick Ring to add / install / enable optional content. This is because the optional content will only be installed in the compilations approved for specific rings.
If you belong to the Fast Ring within the Insider Program, you can download the update by going to the usual route, that is, “Settings> Update and Security> Windows Update” . An update that is focused mainly on improving the performance of the operating system.
Source | Microsoft