6.5 C
New York
Tuesday, August 3, 2021

After Miami building collapse, New York shuts down more than 300 construction sites due to dangerous conditions

Must Read

Manish Saini
Manish works as a Journalist and writer at Revyuh.com. He has studied Political Science and graduated from Delhi University. He is a Political engineer, fascinated by politics, and traditional businesses. He is also attached to many NGO's in the country and helping poor children to get the basic education. Email: Manish (at) revyuh (dot) com

While we are still hoping to find survivors in the rubble of a collapsed oceanfront condominium building in Miami, New York City has strictly enforced the “Zero Tolerance” construction site safety measures and has shut down more than 320 construction sites due to dangerous conditions.

Since these inspections began earlier in June, the DOC has already carried out safety inspections at more than 2,100 of NYC’s larger and more complex building construction sites.

They have shut down work at more than 322 of such dangerous construction sites with full and partial stop-work orders and issued over 1,129 violations for safety issues and code non-compliance issues at these work sites. 

The two-year report, which will be released on Monday, provides an in-depth analysis of major building construction incidents in the past two years.

The crackdown was in response to many construction deaths that occurred earlier this year, says the DOB.  

Knowledge is power, and the analysis in this report can help the construction industry keep their workers safe from hazardous site conditions

stated Buildings Commissioner Melanie E. La Rocca.

Officials claim they hope this report would help avoid construction worker injury or death in the future. 

Council Member Robert E. Cornegy, Jr., who chairs the Committee on Housing and Buildings,” explained why this report is so important.

Construction deaths are not acceptable. In order to prevent avoidable fatalities, we need better information about construction sites, and we need to learn from our mistakes that put workers at risk

This new report does just that.

Council Member Peter Koo accepted that construction fatalities are unacceptable.

As our city continues to recover, and construction begins to ramp up, we need to make sure we are deconstructing past accidents, and doubling down on safety precautions

Koo said.

Council Member Paul Vallone also supported the report.

Collecting this data is an important step in developing comprehensive and effective plan to make our city a safer place to live and work

Vallone said.

The analysis found that construction-related injuries in the city dropped 21% in 2019 and dropped another 15% in 2020.

This decline is the first such decrease in ten years. Deaths held steady at 12 in 2019 and dropped to 8 in 2020.  

Photo by Gary Hershorn/Getty Images

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest News

New study links symptoms of Nearsightedness (myopia) in children to pandemic

A new study, published in the British Journal of Ophthalmology, reported a rise in cases of nearsightedness (myopia) among...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -