At least five students and a teacher were injured when an improvised explosive device was unintentionally detonated in a classroom of Michigan high school, local police said.
The incident took place on Monday in the village of Newaygo. According to preliminary results of the investigation, a 16-year-old schoolboy accidentally detonated a device brought to an educational institution, as a result of which he received moderate injuries and was hospitalized.
- ‘A Never-Before-Seen Event’ – Orcas’ Tactical Brilliance Shocks Scientists in Epic Clash with Great White Sharks
- 3600 Steps Per Day At A Normal Pace Could Reduce the Risk of Heart Failure By 26%, Says New Study
- New Research Reveals Surprising Unknown Benefits of Female Ginseng – Here’s What You Need to Know
- The Way This New Species Kills Its Host is ‘Absolutely Fascinating’ – ‘It’s Like Something Out Of A James Cameron Movie’
- Plant Eaters Beware: Researchers Reveal Surprise Smell Can Prevent Plants Being Eaten
At least four more students received minor injuries and went to a medical facility themselves.
The school was immediately evacuated and the students were transferred to the bus garage. The other Newaygo County schools were also ordered to remain closed until the information was obtained that there were no further threats to the students.
Further investigation of the incident is underway, including law enforcement agencies to find out the composition of the exploded substance.
“This was not somebody planting an explosive device in order to hurt our students,” Mathis said in a Facebook post.
On 3/08/2021 at 8:52 AM Newaygo Police Department Officers were dispatched to the Newaygo High School for an explosion inside a classroom. Preliminary investigation has determined that a 16-year-old student accidently detonated a homemade explosive device he brought— @MSPWestMI (@mspwestmi) March 8, 2021
to the school. The device detonated in the classroom, injuring the 16-year-old and four additional classmates. High School Administration dialed 911 and emergency services arrived on scene. The school was immediately evacuated, and students were transferred to the bus garage.— @MSPWestMI (@mspwestmi) March 8, 2021
All Newaygo County Schools went into lockdown according to county emergency operations plan until information was obtained that there were no further threats to students. The 16-year-old was taken to the hospital for moderate-severe injuries while four others— @MSPWestMI (@mspwestmi) March 8, 2021