6.5 C
New York
Sunday, October 17, 2021

29-years-old who escaped from prison in 1992 surrenders due to pandemic

Must Read

Escaped child serial killer who drank blood of boys was hunted down by villagers

An escaped self-confessed child serial killer who drank the blood of boys he killed was tracked down...

Teen girls start developing tics shortly after watching TikTok videos of people displaying tics – doctors warn

Since the beginning of the pandemic, teenage girls all around the world have been showing up at...

Some drugs having anti-inflammatory may prevent the worst effects of COVID-19 infection – says study

Covid Vaccines have been shown to reduce COVID-19-related hospitalizations and deaths. However, the scientific community continues to...
Manish Saini
Manish works as a Journalist and writer at Revyuh.com. He has studied Political Science and graduated from Delhi University. He is a Political engineer, fascinated by politics, and traditional businesses. He is also attached to many NGO's in the country and helping poor children to get the basic education. Email: Manish (at) revyuh (dot) com

The COVID-19 outbreak has forced many people from their homes. Luckily for Australian authorities, one of those persons is a 29-year fugitive who decided he’d rather be in prison than be homeless.

In Grafton Correctional Center, almost 400 miles north of Sydney, between July 31 and Aug. 1, 1992, Darko Desic allegedly used a hacksaw blade and bolt cutters to cut through the bars of his cell window and a perimeter fence, according to the Sydney Morning Herald and the AP.

Except for a brief appearance on Australia’s Most Wanted, which reported a tip that he’d been seen in Nowra, 120 miles south of Sydney, Desic remained unnoticed for the next 29 years, working as a builder and handyman known as “Dougie,” according to 9 News.

Then came the COVID-19 epidemic. According to ABC Australia, Desic struggled to find work during the summer shutdown and was eventually evicted from his home in Avalon, a beachfront district of Sydney. The 64-year-old then began sleeping on the sand dunes.

“He slept on the beach on Saturday night and said: ‘Stuff it, I’ll go back to prison where there’s a roof over my head,” a police source tells Australia’s Daily Telegraph, according to the Associated Press.

On Sunday morning, Desic turned himself up at the Dee Why Police Station. The fugitive, who was born in the former Yugoslavia, reportedly told police that he dreaded being deported after serving his initial sentence and that he expected reprisal in his home country for failing to complete necessary military service.

He is not an Australian citizen, although he was supposedly awarded Australian residency while on the run in 2008, according to the Associated Press.

On Tuesday, he appeared in court on a charge of evading legal custody, which has a maximum term of seven years in jail, and was denied bail ahead of a hearing on Sept. 28.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest News

- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -