The length of the navigable artery, which will be built around the Bosphorus, is more than 40 meters. With its help, the authorities plan to increase exports.
The most ambitious infrastructure project in the history of Turkey – the construction of the Istanbul Canal – will begin at the end of June.
This was announced on Saturday, May 29 by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, writes Anadolu.
“At the end of June, we will lay the first stone in the construction of the Istanbul canal. Of course, there are those who are concerned about this megaproject. But this will not stop us,” the Turkish leader said.
- New study may predict where a specific type of cancer may spread in the brain
- How many shots the US alone can distribute per month including currently pledged donations and additional available stock – report
- These kids may develop higher levels of interest in politics and are almost twice as likely to vote
- Child abuse and neglect may increase risk of premature death in adulthood
- Scientists find a new species of fish with a tiny brain and transparent body
According to the leader, the implementation of this project will increase the strategic importance of the Turkish metropolis, since six bridges will be thrown across the canal, and two cities will be built on its banks, which will “decorate the image of Istanbul.”
As you know, the project of a 43-meter canal, which is intended to become a new navigable artery in the western part of Istanbul, connecting the Black and Marmara Seas, was announced by Erdogan in 2011.
With its help, Turkey intends to increase its exports to $ 500 billion.
We will remind, almost three years ago, the President of Turkey announced his readiness for the construction of the canal, and in December 2019, a tender was announced for the work.