The President of the United States, Donald Trump, has assured this Tuesday that he is considering not allocating more funds to the World Health Organization (WHO), alleging that the organism “is very focused on China” in the crisis derived from the coronavirus pandemic.
“I’m not saying I’m going to do it, but we’re going to consider it,” Trump said during the daily press conference for the coronavirus task force at the White House. “I do not know, it seems that they have put themselves (WHO) on the side of China,” he added, before affirming that the organization is “very focused on China.“
Previously, the US president had already censored the WHO through his account on the social network Twitter, accusing it of “Chinesecentric” for the “wrong” recommendations that, in his opinion, he has given to combat the coronavirus pandemic.
Trump has specifically criticized the advice the WHO gave at the beginning of the coronavirus crisis to keep borders open with China. Thus, he has spoken again in this regard during the press conference at the White House, affirming that WHO opposed its prohibition to restrict travel between the North American country and China.
The United States closed its borders to China on January 31 in response to the growing threat of Covid-19 expansion. “They criticized my ban on travel from China and they were wrong,” he said, according to the CBS television network. It has also affected that the organization was unable to stop the spread of Covid-19 in the Chinese city of Wuhan, where the pandemic originated.
“We pay most of the money they get,” continued the US president, who has assured that he also considers establishing “a very powerful control” on the United Nations agency. The White House had already proposed halving the funds earmarked for WHO in its 2021 budget.