Residents of Brisbane, Australia, witnessed a totally incredible scene when they came across a gigantic insect during a walk up to Camp Mountain.
Australians were quick to share images of the unusual find with a community of entomologists. In one of the photos, you can see how a man poses next to the monstrous insect, sitting on the trunk of a tree. Another image shows that the moth is larger than a child’s hand.
- On a British dating game show, man escorted out to “calm down” after getting too “excited” during filming
- Dead bodies of two young girls, 10 and 13, found in South Florida canal
- Missing golden retriever found swimming in Jersey Shore bay after 2 weeks
- Five supplements that can help relieve joint pain and long term conditions
- Invasive Giant Hogweed left two schoolboys blistered and burned
“How beautiful” and “wow! It’s EPIC” were some of the comments on the post.
But what is this amazing insect called? Most likely it is Endoxyla cinereus, or the gigantic wood moth. This nocturnal creature of the Cossidae family, which lives in some areas of Australia and New Zealand, is considered the heaviest moth in the world, as it can reach 30 grams in weight. As for its wingspan, it can reach 23 centimeters.