A store employee was shot at by a customer after a dispute over wearing a protective mask. Then the attacker wounded the guard.
In the US state of Georgia, a shooting at a supermarket in Atlanta killed a cashier who was arguing with a buyer about wearing a protective mask.
It is noted that a 30-year-old man went to a grocery store, where at the checkout he had a dispute with the cashier about wearing a mask. The suspect left the store without buying anything, but soon returned and shot at his opponent.
- This protein uses lung cells as factories to make more viruses, leading to severe inflammation and death
- Binding antibodies can also protect against Covid
- New “wave” of COVID-19 deaths in the US “is going to get worse before it gets better”, predicts professor
- Commonly used saline is good at keeping critically ill patients alive and their organs working, says new study
- A single blood test can predict COVID-19 death risk weeks before outcome, study says
According to DeKalb County Police Department Chief Melody Maddox, “there was some confrontation, an argument… in reference to the wearing of a mask at which time the subject pulled out a weapon and shot the cashier at the location.
“We understand that with the wearing of the masks and the not wearing the mask, people will have their own opinions,” she said.
“He is a stand-out professional individual and he loves what he does,” Maddox said. “As you can see, he’s continuing to do what he does to make sure that everybody is safe, once again, as they go in and out of that store.”
All participants in the incident were hospitalized. The cashier died in a medical facility, the condition of the attacker and the security guard is assessed as stable.
The incident also injured a 30-year-old reserve member of the Dekalb County Sheriff’s Office, who intervened in the conflict and opened fire in response.
In addition, the shooter Victor Lee Tucker is in the hospital with gunshot wounds. The attacker was arrested while trying to crawl out of the supermarket.
Details of the incident are being investigated by law enforcement officers.